Pest Spotlight: Dealing With Crickets In New Jersey
October 5, 2022
Crickets are known for their melodious chirping, which can keep you awake at night and become quite annoying. As cooler weather begins in New Jersey, you may notice these abundant pests outside and inside your home. They stay burrowed during the day and become active at night. Contact the New Jersey pest control professionals at Heritage Pest Control if you see the signs of a cricket infestation in your home.
Signs Of Cricket Infestations
The good news is that crickets make their presence known when they enter your New Jersey home. If you notice any of the following signs, you likely have a cricket infestation on your hands:
- Presence of crickets: Seeing actual crickets in your home is a telltale sign of an infestation. Crickets are small, brown insects with large antennae, and if you see them often, you likely have a problem.
- Holes in fabric: Crickets like to chew on fabrics that have come in contact with food and moisture. They often leave behind black or brown stains. If you find holes in bedding, clothes, or other fabric items, you likely have crickets in your home.
- Cricket droppings: Their droppings look like tiny black pellets typically found where they rest or near food sources.
- Chirping noises: They chirp to communicate with one another, and if you're hearing this sound frequently at night, you likely have crickets in your home.
Crickets are drawn to moist, warm environments within structures. Be sure to check the spots they typically inhabit in your homes, such as bathrooms, basement areas, crawlspaces, storage rooms, closets, storage boxes, and laundry rooms.
The Reason For The Loud Chirping
Crickets are nocturnal creatures, so they are typically heard chirping at night. The chirping sound of cricket is helpful in three ways: as a mating song, as a territorial warning, or to distract predators. As an essential part of a cricket's communication repertoire, the purpose of their chirping is often little-known.
Ways To Deter Crickets Easily In New Jersey
The best way to avoid problems with crickets in the house is to deter them from ever entering in the first place. Some ways to prevent crickets from entering your home include:
- Put sweeps until all exterior doors.
- Seal crevices and cracks in exterior walls and your home's foundation.
- Place weatherstripping around doors and windows.
- Keep doors shut when not in use.
- Trim overgrown vegetation and tall grass away from the building's foundation.
- Keep storage areas in your home organized and neat.
- Remove excess piles of leaves, rocks, grass, and wood from your property.
The best way to prevent cricket infestations is to hire pest control technicians to treat your home for crickets. They will identify the source of the infestation and treat it accordingly. They have the tools and experience to get the job done right.
The Best Way To Keep Crickets Out Of Your Home For Good
For the past 30 years, Heritage Pest Control has provided efficient, effective, and environmentally friendly pest control solutions for residential properties in northern New Jersey. The best way to solve your New Jersey property's cricket problem is to partner with a local pest control company. When you partner with Heritage Pest Control, our reliable and friendly professionals will be at your residence within 24 hours to assess the infestation and recommend treatment. We are proud to provide all of our customers with reliable, affordable, and environmentally friendly pest solutions. The most effective way to ensure your home remains cricket-free is to invest in our cricket control services. To get started, give us a call today!