The Key To Effective Rodent Control For New Jersey Homes
February 24, 2022
When rodents invade your New Jersey home, it can seem like a major nightmare to understand the types of rodents invading and how to get rid of rodents effectively. Fortunately, pest control in New Jersey can help you out and eradicate all kinds of rodents from your home.
The Life Cycle Of Common Rodents
There are several types of rodents in the New Jersey area that you may commonly encounter in your home. This includes Norway rats, roof rats, deer mice, and house mice. While different rodents may have specific characteristics and a preference in living areas, the life cycle of all rodents is relatively similar.
Most kinds of rodents have incredibly quick reproductive abilities and tend to reach sexual maturity rapidly after being born. Both Norway rats and roof rats will reach sexual maturity around eight weeks after birth, while mice will reach sexual maturity only five weeks after birth. From there, the adults will continue partnering up and growing their colony; both rats and mice can live between two and three years, especially when they are indoors and have easy access to food, water, and safe shelter.
The Problems Rodents Can Create In Homes
All rodents can pose a significant threat to the health and safety of your home once they start invading, especially when an infestation begins to increase in size. Rodents are substantial carriers of disease and can contaminate any surfaces or food storage areas they run across and scavenge in. Additionally, rodent urine and feces can become airborne and spread further contamination throughout the home.
Illnesses you can contract from rodents include:
- Rat-Bite Fever
- Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis
You should also note that rodents need to chew constantly. This can create severe destruction and costly repair bills as the rats and mice live in the walls of your home, in attics, or basements and chew at everything around them.
Five No-Sweat Rodent Prevention Tips
To keep all different rodents out of your home, you can follow the below prevention tips:
- Fix up cracks in windows, doors, and the foundation of your home to keep rodents out. Use a chew-proof material like steel wool and consider investing in a chimney cap.
- Seal all trash bags and dispose of waste promptly.
- Use trash cans with lids and refrain from leaving out dirty dishes or food and drink spills as the scent attracts rodents.
- Address moisture issues around your home and fix any leaks inside or outside to stop excess water from attracting rodents.
- Store all leftover food properly and consider investing in airtight containers for pantry areas. Decluttering pantries and food storage areas often will make them less hospitable to rodents.
- Ensure your yard is clear of debris and the grass stays trimmed low to reduce rodent hiding spots.
The Best Form Of Rodent Control For New Jersey Homes
The best form of rodent control in New Jersey homes is to contact our specialists at Heritage Pest Control. Our professionals will be able to inspect your home and identify the scale of your rodent problem. This information will allow them to get rid of rodents effectively and entirely eradicate any infestations of this pest. So, reach out to our experts today and trust Heritage Pest Control for all of your rodent control needs.